The cupboard was bare apart from half a French bread stick and a jar of applesauce. So I searched on Pinterest for vegan French Toast ideas, but most of the recipes I clicked into seemed long and complicated - not what I was looking for after my travel-filled weekend. I decided to throw some ingredients together and hope for the best.
- 8 slices of French bread (approx. 1.5cm thick)
- 3 tsp Applesauce
- 1/2 cup of soy milk (or preferred dairy alternative)
- 2 tbls corn flour (corn starch)
- 1 tsp soft brown sugar (or maple syrup/agave)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Dash of All spice
- 1 tsp Pure Soya Spread (butter alternative)
- Cut bread and leave aside
- Heat frying pan over a med-high heat
- Blend all ingredients together (except for bread and butter) until mixture thickens.
- Soak bread in the mix
- Coat pan in butter and use a kitchen towel to remove excess.
- Fry the bread pieces for approx. 2 mins on each side.
- Serve warm.