It's my best friend's birthday weekend. We've been friends since before she was born and I'm always so excited when her birthday comes around and we get to be the same age for a few months. Yesterday, I did some autumnal decorating at home and planted some flowers for next spring. Then, it was on with the apron and into the kitchen! Despite missing my V-slicer (mandoline) which is back in Ireland, I had a lot of fun baking these little delights. It was surprisingly easy to create the roses too!!
Check out Rommeij's Fashion Blog here: girlinthepalace.com
- Jus-Rol Filo Pastry
- 4 apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tblsp melted non-dairy butter substitute
for the custard filling
- 1 tin of coconut milk
- 2 tblsp cornflour
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Grease a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Unfold the pastry and cutting through all the layers, cut into squares to fit into the tin.
- Arrange 6 squares for each pastry case, alternate the layers for a star pattern and brush each layer with melted butter.
- Blind bake the pastry cases for 7 mins. I used cupcake/muffin cases to help the pastry keep it's shape. You can fill these with baking beans but it's not totally necessary!!
- Remove from oven but leave in tins while you prepare the custard and apples.
- Open the tin of coconut milk, spoon off the cream that rose to the top and stir 1/4 cup of cream back into the tin.
- Pour into a small saucepan, retaining a small amount in the tin.
- Heat gently and whisk until almost boiling.
- Add all other ingredients for the custard into the tin and stir until you have a paste.
- Add the hot milk slowly and stir.
- Add this mix back to the pot and stir over a low heat until it thickens.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Cut apples in half and thinly slice with the skin on - a mandoline can be used if you have one.
- Put the slices in cold lemony water while you're chopping to keep the colour.
- Soften the apple slices slightly in a microwave for 25-30 seconds.
- Pour 1 tblsp of custard into each pastry case.
- Arrange the apple slices from the inside out, in a spiral pattern, to make the rose design. Use one slice folded in on itself for the centre.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake for 10-12 minutes.