Hello Friends, On a cold morning a hearty breakfast is the best way to start the day and fight away the icy chill. During the week, I'll grab a quick bowl of cereal or porridge (oats) but I like to have a little fun with my weekend breakfasts. Sundays are for pancakes or French Toast or croissants - something sweet involving pastry or batter. However, on a Saturday I prefer a savoury dish.
I've been looking forward to my Saturday breakfast all week!
- 1/2 cup of firmly packed tofu
- 1 tblspn oil (olive/vegetable/walnut)
- 2 small mushrooms
- 2 cherry tomatoes/small tomatoes
- 2 asparagus tips
- 1/4 tspn turmeric
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tspn nutritional yeast
- Pinch of black pepper for seasoning
- Squeeze of ketchup
- Your favourite bagel
- Dairy-free alternative to butter (I prefer Pure)
- Heat a small amount of oil in two frying pans.
- Chop the mushrooms and asparagus, and quarter the tomatoes.
- Drain the tofu and pat down with kitchen towels (you can also squeeze the tofu gently to remove excess water)
- Add the vegetables to one pan, reducing the heat to low/medium and the tofu to the other.
- Use a wooden spoon to break up the tofu.
- Lightly fry the vegetables until the tomatoes have softened and then turn off the heat.
- Toast the bagel.
- Add the turmeric and cayenne to the tofu and continue to stir with the spoon.
- Add the black pepper to both pans to lightly season.
- Spread the dairy-free "butter" on the bagel and empty the pan of scrambled tofu on top.
- Spoon the vegetables over the tofu.
- Serve with a squeeze of ketchup!